As we first walked through the house, we knew that in order to make this work for our family we had to completely overhaul the basement. It's condition was, well, a bit scary. It was functioning as...
- a single car garage
- a workshop
- rough plumbing for a bathroom
- a crude excuse of a bedroom
But it was also the place that really anchored the uniqueness of the property. This, as I mentioned in my earlier post, is the original part of the barn. It has amazing beams and rock walls and even a bell that the house next door could ring to call the servants with...NO JOKE. We had some initial thoughts like flipping the stairwell and restoring the 1930s metal cabinet sink, but as we stood in the space and got thoughtful and practical about it, we threw those thoughts out.
Here's what we decided we needed to do...
- rip out the old bedroom and put in a fresh one for the boys
- move the ridiculously huge furnace, water heater, and a whole bunch of duct work so that we had more space for a proper laundry room
- get rid of all the random crazy electrical and put in lighting
- put in a bathroom with a shower for the boys
- put in a mud/coat room
- take out the garage door and create a rec room for the boys
It's kind of a tall task. Convincing the heating and cooling guy to move the furnace and all was task enough! I think he thought I was crazy to spend the money to move them over a few feet, but crazy or not, I was completely right. Anyway, so we are well underway down there. We've already...
- moved the furnace etc.
- ripped out the nasty bedroom, every random cabinet, workbench, and a bunch of the bizarro electrical
- done all the framing and drywalling and mudding
- replaced the laundry room sink
- plumbed in the bathroom
- painted a TON
- I've even done some cement work on the walls. That's right. I did that.
- hung up a bunch of lighting
I'll post pictures of the finished work once things wrap up, which I made my contractor promise would be before Christmas. But for now here are some of the before pictures.
|That back corner is now the sight of the furnace and water heater in a storage closet.|
|Some of this is still raw storage but the corner where the wall Ts is where the coat room is going.|
|We were able to move all the red metal supports into walls which really helped design the space.|
|Bye bye garage, hello foosball table.|
|Check out that monster of a furnace! In the back, where the shower curtain is, is where the new bathroom is going.|
|It was a cool sink and I wanted to save it, but it just didn't work out.|
|See why I wanted to move those monsters? That is now on its way to being a spacious laundry room.|
|The white door towards the back will be the new entrance into a garage/storage area.|
|I have other pictures of the bedroom but I think this one does the job of showing what a poor joke it was.|
So excited to share the updates!! It's genuinely going to be such a cool place.